Community Concert Series Events
- ... an initiative that has sprung from a deep-seated desire to engage, to share collaborations and the joy of music, and to establish lasting associations within the community. It answers to a basic human imperative: What can we do to help?
Our philosophy is founded on the Celtic tradition of music as an integral part of who we are as we create connections with others. The NSCE musicians come into their own sharing their music and collaborating with community members from all walks of life. We love what we do and we gladly share it with others, learning from them as we go. Everyone has their own unique gifts to offer and the Community Concert Series allows talented young musicians the opportunity to interact at a profound level while sharing their exuberant and spirited music with others. The motivation for this evolving concert series flows from a recognition of the importance of continuing to learn from one another and from a deep respect for the value of building strong connective ties between all members of society.
Since the Community Concert Series has become more formalized in the past few years, all four NSCE groups—Senior Ensemble, North Shore Junior Celtic Ensemble, NSCE Strings & Things, and NSCE Intro Group—have participated in up to 15 concerts each year for a diverse number of organizations. They provide music, youthful exuberance, and an engaging presence at community events, including those organized for Vancouver Coastal Health care centres, the Lions Gate Hospital Foundation, the North Shore Hospice Society, and the Silver Harbour Seniors Centre. Helping to raise funds for much needed initiatives, they are at the same time developing an important understanding and an appreciation of the gifts we all bring.
The artistic director envisions that the young musicians themselves will continue to increase their involvement in the direction taken with the Community Concert Series as they evolve into socially conscious human beings aware of the potential in small acts of kindness and of the value of sharing music, exchanging creative ideas, and of simply being present in community.
Other community initiatives highlights are:
- West Vancouver Community Concert Series
- West Vancouver Community Centre Society fundraisers
- Dundarave Festival of Lights for Lookout Shelter to help end homelessness on the North Shore
- Inglewood Care Centre in collaboration with their hand chimes choir
- Earthball event to help raise awareness of the environment and our inter-connectedness
- Bowen Island for a benefit concert to bring clean water to Africa
- Lynn Valley United Church
- St Andrew’s and St Stephen’s Presbyterian Church
- Kiwanis Care Centre (Vancouver Coastal Health) spring fundraisers and birthday parties
- North Shore Hospice Easter events and Strawberry Teas
- Rotary Club of Langley for Robbie Burns’ Day
- Deep Cove Divas Ride to Conquer Cancer fundraising event
- Cedardale School’s annual fundraising gala
- Silver Harbour Centre for their St. Patrick’s Day celebrations
- Hollyburn House, West Vancouver